Welcome to Blackfriars!It was founded in 1938 as a 'house of writers' of the Dominican Province of England. It is a spacious but homely property set in pleasant
gardens, with a well-stocked Library, Community and Public Chapels, and Refectory. 'Blackfriars' is situated within 12 minutes' walk of the Faculty of Theology
(in the city centre, along with the majority of the Colleges), and 15 minutes' walk of the University Library. The number of resident English Dominicans has
always been small. For a number of years the 15 bedroom priory was home to young Catholic laypeople, nearly all research students in the University of
Cambridge. At Easter 2000, the Provincial Chapter decided to make 'Blackfriars' the Novitiate House of the English Dominicans.